"Impressive ecclesiastical proportions are celebrated in this sensitive church conversion, allowing communal spaces to flow harmoniously beneath beautiful vaulted ceilings and stained glass windows."
This impressive Grade II-listed church conversion, set within its own surrounding gardens in the Kentish town of Faversham, offers a truly unique living space of arresting proportions, brandishing many original ecclesiastical features.
The church was built in 1881 and was funded by a local gunpowder manufacturer’s widow, to serve the town’s local parishioners. Its foundations are constructed of a traditional knapped flint and Bath stone dressing, topped with a signature Kent peg tile roof featuring cross-shaped saddlestones. The private driveway leads to an arched doorway entrance, with original colonnettes, behind which the impressive internal living space unfolds.
The interior is chiefly open-plan and loosely organised with a kitchen and dining area to one end and screened sleeping area to the other. A bathroom is housed in a separate room to one side. A nave of five bays extends to just under 1000 sq ft with an intricately crafted barrel-vaulted ceiling which soars to an awe-inspiring height overhead.
Lancet windows, most of which have retained the original stained-glass panels, are divided by angle buttresses and sit within deep embrasures. The entire length of the interior arcade is serviced with underfloor heating in addition to two sizeable wood-burning stoves which contribute to both the warmth and dramatic atmosphere of the building.
Faversham has a rich industrious past; its proximity to the Swale helped to establish its status as a key seaport and centre for ship building. Between the 17th and early 20th century, Faversham became the heart of the country’s explosives industry until a devastating accident killed 100 factory workers in 1916. Numerous breweries later arose, monetising Kent’s thriving hop-growing industry and today, its visible history is fused with a characterful and lively town centre, with a clutch of independent and antique shops and its illustrious market, taking place in the town centre every week for over 900 years.
Faversham lies 48 miles to the south east of London and the mainline train station offers direct services to London Victoria and St Pancras in under 1.5 hours. The city of Canterbury is 10 miles away and the popular seaside town of Whitstable is just an 8-minute journey by train.
Please note that all areas, measurements and distances given in these particulars are approximate and rounded. The text, photographs and floor plans are for general guidance only. The Modern House has not tested any services, appliances or specific fittings — prospective purchasers are advised to inspect the property themselves. All fixtures, fittings and furniture not specifically itemised within these particulars are deemed removable by the vendor.