"The design bears many of the hallmarks of the Bauhaus style, including clean lines, a sharp angular silhouette and linear strips of Crittal-framed glazing."
Designed in 1938 by renowned German architect Rudolph Frankel, this Grade II-listed, four-bedroom house is a rare and significant example of continental Modernism, set amidst beautiful landscaped gardens in Great Stanmore.
Extending to over 3,000 sq ft internally, the house is designed as two brick cubes, one with a cut-away corner and terrace, looking out over private landscaped gardens. The other was a garage, but has since been converted into a library. The design bears many of the hallmarks of the Bauhaus style, including clean lines, a sharp angular silhouette and linear strips of Crittal-framed glazing. The house represents a rare and truly exciting opportunity to acquire a significant piece of Modernist architectural history.
Accommodation is arranged across two storeys. The ground floor is shared by a reception hall, a large reception room, a largely original kitchen and a dining room. A former garage has been converted into a library with adjoining utility room and office. The first floor is comprised of a large bedroom with dual aspect windows and three smaller bedrooms. There are also two family bathrooms on this floor.
Rudolph Frankel was a German-Jewish architect, among the leaders of the pre-war avant-garde movement in Berlin. He opened his own office in Berlin in 1924 and by 1925 had been inducted into the Deutscher Werkbund, an association of artists, designers and industrialists working in the capital. A little later he was invited by Walter Gropius to join the Bauhaus faculty, but Frankel declined the offer, citing a lack of time. After the Nazi seizure of power, Frankel fled Berlin for Bucharest where he stayed for a number of years, before joining his brother-in law in Stanmore in 1937. It was here that he designed two houses which remain as monuments to his crisp, pared-back brand of continental modernism.
Halsbury Close is well positioned for the green spaces of Stanmore and Aldenham Country Parks. The local amenities of Stanmore are within walking distance and include a post office, library, cafes, bars and restaurants. There are also a number of excellent private and state schools in the vicinity including Haberdashers’ Aske’s, North London Collegiate and St Margaret’s.
As to be expected of a Metroland house, Halsbury Close is conveniently positioned for the M1, M25, A41. There are also excellent transport links to central London from Stanmore tube station via the Jubilee line.
Please note that all areas, measurements and distances given in these particulars are approximate and rounded. The text, photographs and floor plans are for general guidance only. The Modern House has not tested any services, appliances or specific fittings — prospective purchasers are advised to inspect the property themselves. All fixtures, fittings and furniture not specifically itemised within these particulars are deemed removable by the vendor. Subject to Contract.
Rudolph Frankel was born in Germany 1901. He studied at the Berlin Institute of Technology, before serving his apprenticeship in Munich. Very early in his career he was commissioned to design the Gesundbrunnen area of Berlin’s Mitte. During this period, from 1922 until he left Germany for Bucharest in 1933, he made significant contributions to the Modern movement in architecture, stimulated by Walter Gropius and the Bauhaus school.
Frankel’s work included a wide variety of buildings and projects. He achieved international recognition during his time in Bucharest, material on his work was published widely and was included in outstanding formal exhibitions in Berlin, Moscow, Leningrad, Tokyo, Milan and London.
He moved to London with his wife in 1937 fleeing the Nazis. His architectural output in England included a special clothing factory at Congleton, Cheshire, and the E. H. Jones Machine Tools, Ltd. offices and showrooms, as well as several large homes.
In 1950, he emigrated to the United States. He was invited by several universities to join their faculties of architecture, ultimately accepting a position at Miami University in Ohio. He quickly became a strong motivating force within the Department of Architecture and was renowned amongst students for his enormous capacity for effective organisation and creative approach to the teaching of architecture.
Frankel believed that architecture must be considered as a practice with human beings at its heart. It was his belief that the total topography of the land was of first design consideration with any building; green spaces, parks and the spaces between buildings were elements that the architect and planner must acknowledge and prioritise as much as gross internal areas.
After retirement, Frankel continued in private practice and was at the time of his death in 1974 still actively engaged with the firm of Frankel, Newman and Associates. He was a Fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects, a member of the American Institute of Planners and a registered architect in Ohio and in England.