"A rare and beautiful example of Art Deco architecture, designed by Norman Webster, within a short drive from the North Norfolk coast."
Know as Four Trees, this remarkable four-bedroom house,sits in a large private garden and was designed by Norman Webster from an original plan by R. A. C. Churchward for the Coalectric Company, in 1934. The house has many architectural features typical of the late Art Deco period, including beautiful curved glazing, original railings, a balcony and roof terrace. It is located within two miles of the centre of Long Sutton, a thriving market town, and close to the beautiful Wash marshes.
Entry is gained to the right of an elegant turret of glazing, which stretches up to the second floor of the house. The ground floor hallways have their original parquet and lead past a small study positioned at the front of the house, with a curved outlook over the front garden and a small pond. There is also a small family room or snug, towards the front of the house.
The house was extended in recent years and the majority of the space at ground level is occupied by an expansive, modern open-plan kitchen/dining room, with glazed doors opening out to a patio and the back garden. A large living room with wood burner is also positioned at the rear of the house and links to the patio via a glazed door.
An elegant staircase, with original handrail, lit by a wonderfully tall window, leads to the first floor. There are four bedrooms, one with an en-suite bathroom, and one with access to a balcony with original railings, overlooking the garden. There is also a family bathroom. The curved aspect of the front elevation, extends to this level, illustrating Webster’s fluent understanding of space and light.
The second floor is a flat roof which can be used as a roof terrace, with a small storage space that sits in line with the turret glazing at the front of the house. This wonderful space has views out across the Lincolnshire countryside.
The garden is one of the delights of this property. It is largely lawn with a variety of beds and shrubs as well as a number of mature trees which may have given the house its name. There is a large driveway at the front of the house, with parking space for four cars.
The house can be found just outside of the small town of Long Sutton, a quiet residential town, renowned for its Friday market and street auction. The high street has a good number of shops, pubs and restaurants and schools in the area. The historical towns of Kings Lynn, Peterborough, Cambridge and Stamford are all nearby and have a vast array of amenities.
The larger towns of Spalding and King’s Lynn are within easy driving distance and offer further services including railway stations and cultural and sporting facilities. The celebrated beaches of the North Norfolk coast are approximately 30 – 45 minutes by car (depending on which beach you want to go to).
Please note that all areas, measurements and distances given in these particulars are approximate and rounded. The text, photographs and floor plans are for general guidance only. The Modern House has not tested any services, appliances or specific fittings — prospective purchasers are advised to inspect the property themselves. All fixtures, fittings and furniture not specifically itemised within these particulars are deemed removable by the vendor.
Four Trees was commissioned by an agricultural family from Long Sutton in 1936, following a visit to the Ideal Home exhibition Olympia in 1934. The intention was to build a large family house which would also allow for the running of the family business. As such, the front of the house was separated off from the living quarters to restrict visiting contractors and colleagues to the business’s offices.
The advertised plan was for the Coalectric House, designed by R. A. C. Churchward for the Coalectric Estate Development company.
The house was built by local builders and the plans were developed by Norman Webster. The original floorplans from the Coalectric company brochure are attached and Webster’s additions can be inferred in their absence. He seems to have been responsible for the large strip of glazing over the stairs, as well as the flat roof terrace and balcony.