Architect: R. Seifert and Partners
Viewing Day: Saturday 2nd June
Positioned high above the seafront with views of the English Channel, this beautifully refurbished apartment sits on the tenth floor of Bedford Towers. The modernist block was originally designed by the Swiss-British architect Richard Seifert in 1967, on the site of the old Bedford Hotel.
The hotel has retained the first six floors, whilst the upper floors are occupied by domestic flats. The two-bedroom apartment is situated in the north-western corner of the building. Access is via an entrance shared with the Holiday Inn, across a raised terrace and through a grand lobby. The communal areas designated for residents have preserved a wonderful late-sixties interior, with a private lift that serves all the domestic levels. There is also a private entrance to the apartments on the adjacent Cavendish Place.
The interiors of this particular flat have been comprehensively redesigned by the current owners. A large, lateral space, the apartment has an enormous open living room flanked on two sides by a glazed and covered balcony, with views along the coast to the West, and North towards central Brighton. The kitchen is positioned centrally, and beyond are the two bedrooms and main bathroom. The master bedroom has an open en-suite bath.
The building is very well maintained is currently undergoing some major cosmetic work to the exterior.
Bedford Towers is very well positioned on the seafront, a short distance to the west of Brighton Pier and The Lanes, and next to one of the finest Regency squares in Brighton. Brighton station is within a 15-minute walk, for regular connections to London Victoria, the fastest of which have a journey time of under an hour.
Lease Length: approx. 954 years
Service Charge: approx. £3,662 per annum
Ground Rent: peppercorn
Please note that all areas, measurements and distances given in these particulars are approximate and rounded. The text, photographs and floor plans are for general guidance only. The Modern House has not tested any services, appliances or specific fittings — prospective purchasers are advised to inspect the property themselves. All fixtures, fittings and furniture not specifically itemised within these particulars are deemed removable by the vendor.
Pre-dating Brighton’s more famous Grand Hotel by over 30 years, the Bedford opened in October 1829, having been built for William Manfield. The late Georgian-style hotel was subsequently leased to its designer, Thomas Cooper, in 1835. This arrangement lasted only until the following year, after which Manfield ran it again until 1844 when he leased it to Joseph Ellis. In 1855 Ellis purchased the hotel outright. As a fashionable hotel in a fashionable resort town, the Bedford attracted many celebrity guests and even royalty. Amongst the guests was Charles Dickens, who wrote Dombey and Son while staying at the hotel.
In the spring of 1964, the hotel suffered a significant fire, killing two people, and was subsequently torn down. The hotel was rebuilt on the same site, re-opening on 16 September 1967. The 168-feet tall, 17-storey block was designed by R. Seifert and Partners as a 127-room hotel and also a section of private domestic flats, known as Bedford Towers.