Architect: Denys Lasdun
Keeling House IVSOLD
Claredale Street, London E2
Located in one of the finest Modernist residential buildings in London is this immaculately presented one-bedroom apartment with fantastic views from its elevated position on the fifth floor. Keeling House was built between 1954 and 1957 to a design by Denys Lasdun, one of Britain’s greatest Modern architects, and was given a Grade II* listing in 1993 in recognition of its architectural significance. The building was renovated to a very high standard by Munkenbeck + Marshall in 2001.
The building is approached via a set of secure gates, and across a forecourt to the glazed atrium that is manned by a porter. The building’s communal areas are maintained with great pride, and as a result, are impressively fresh and welcoming. There is lift access to a galleried walkway from which the apartment is entered.
The apartment’s interiors are well-proportioned and wonderfully light. There is a bathroom to the left of a central hallway, and opposite, is the bright bedroom with painted concrete floor. The living area is open-plan and spans the full width of the apartment, with a kitchen at one end and reception area at the other. A run of windows along one wall lets in fantastic levels of natural light, with views to the south-west towards the City. The original floorboards in the living room have been painted a muted grey.
The interiors have recently undergone redecoration, including the addition of a new kitchen worktop and painting throughout. The building has a concierge, and Hyperoptic broadband. Residents also have use of a secure bike store that is conveniently positioned just outside the building’s lobby.
Claredale Street is very well situated for both Columbia Road flower market and Broadway Market. Open space can be found at London Fields. Bethnal Green Underground station (Central Line) is approximately 500 metres away, providing easy access to Liverpool Street and the West End. Rail services are available from Cambridge Heath, and there are good bus links.
Lease Length: approx. 982 years (999 years from 25th December 1999)
Service Charge: approx. £1,735 per annum
Ground Rent: approx. £200 per annum
Please note that all areas, measurements and distances given in these particulars are approximate and rounded. The text, photographs and floor plans are for general guidance only. The Modern House has not tested any services, appliances or specific fittings — prospective purchasers are advised to inspect the property themselves. All fixtures, fittings and furniture not specifically itemised within these particulars are deemed removable by the vendor.
Keeling House was built between 1954 and 1957 by the greatly revered Modernist architect Denys Lasdun, and was renovated to a very high standard by Munkenbeck + Marshall in 2001.
The building was given a Grade II* listing in 1993 in recognition of its architectural significance. Although originally built for council tenants, it was sold to a developer in 1999, and all of the flats are now in private ownership.
Denys Lasdun’s original design for Keeling House shunned the traditional slab block in favour of a winged plan (four blocks arrange around a central service tower), which encouraged the occupants to interact with each other.
Munkenbeck + Marshall’s highly praised 2001 renovation earned an RIBA award and a Civic Trust commendation. The architects added a striking glass entrance area.
Widely considered to be one of Britain’s greatest Modern architects, Denys Lasdun (1914-2001) is best known for his Brutalist icons, including London’s National Theatre and the Royal College of Physicians. Having studied at the Architectural Association in London, Lasdun went on to work with Wells Coates and Berthold Lubetkin before becoming a partner with Jane Drew, Maxwell Fry and Lindsay Drake at Fry, Drew, Drake and Lasdun in the 1950s. At this time Lasdun developed his distinctive ‘cluster blocks’ – flats grouped around a central tower – designing a number of developments in east London, including Keeling House.
During the 1960s and ’70s Lasdun also worked on a number of educational buildings, developing his recognisable vernacular of cubic towers, bare concrete and jutting foyers. As well as completing designs for Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge, and the Royal College of Physicians in Regent’s Park, Lasdun developed an acclaimed design for ziggurat-shaped halls at the University of East Anglia.
A true pioneer of modern British architecture, Lasdun’s designs were sometimes controversial. The now Grade II* listed Royal National Theatre, designed between 1967-76, was the most disputed of his projects, with its Brutal aesthetic polarising opinion amongst traditionalists.