This spectacular five-bedroom house is situated just outside the coveted town of Woodbridge, occupying a magnificent elevated position within approximately four acres of formal and wild gardens. It was built in 1933 to a design by architect Hilda Mason for her own occupation, and is positioned to enjoy incredible southerly views over Martlesham Creek and the River Deben.
The design employs both Modernist and Art Deco influences, with white stucco walls, sections of flat roof and a largely symmetrical fenestration. It is approached via a private driveway and parking courtyard with space for several cars. Internal accommodation exceeds 5,000 sq ft and is arranged over three floors, with two wings oriented at an angle to the south and joined by a central hall on each level.
Upon entry, to the left is an integral double garage, and a drawing room and library connected by a versatile study. There is external access from the drawing room, and in the library steps descend to a cellar. To the right of the hall are the dining room, with original narrow-slatted pine flooring, a sun lounge, and the kitchen, with external access respectively to the lawn garden and a paved terrace. From the kitchen, a covered walkway leads to a utility room and separate workshop, and behind a glass-block wall is a decked seating area.
Every principal room has views over the creek and toward the river, some through original Crittall windows. The first floor follows the original plan with three bedrooms on the left, one with en-suite shower room, and a central family bathroom. To the right is a further bedroom with en-suite shower room, and the master bedroom, with bathroom, separate dressing area, and Juliet balcony. On the second floor are two versatile sun /work rooms linked by a corridor.
Solar panels provide much of the house’s electricity, and a bore hole supplies water for the garden.
The gardens are loosely divided into sections, separated by a series of ornamental bespoke gates, with orchards, vegetable patches, rose and perennial gardens, and lawns that descend gently toward the lowland. There is a summer house, grotto, tractor shed and a large glasshouse with sandstone terrace.
Despite its sense of seclusion on the edge of An Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, the house is situated approximately 25 minutes’ walk from the centre of Woodbridge. A picturesque and thriving market town often described as the ‘gem in Suffolk’s crown’, Woodbridge is dotted with independent boutiques and shops, and an excellent variety of restaurants and cafes such as The Cookshed, The Table, and Honey and Harvey. The river hosts annual music festivals and there are a number of clubs and facilities catering for sporting interests.
There are several highly rated state and private schools in the area catering for all ages.
The station at Woodbridge is around 25 minutes’ walk along the river, and runs services to London Liverpool Street via Ipswich with a journey time of approximately 97 minutes. Further up the Suffolk coast can be found the popular seaside towns of Aldeburgh and Southwold, with Snape Maltings also close by.
Please note that all areas, measurements and distances given in these particulars are approximate and rounded. The text, photographs and floor plans are for general guidance only. The Modern House has not tested any services, appliances or specific fittings — prospective purchasers are advised to inspect the property themselves. All fixtures, fittings and furniture not specifically itemised within these particulars are deemed removable by the vendor.
Hilda Mason ARIBA was an English architect, born in 1879. She took up architecture during the First World War, and after a period of employment as a secretary in an Ipswich practice and studies at the AA School in London, she became, at the age of 39, one of very first few women to qualify as architects.
She designed, with Raymond Erith, the grade-II* listed St Andrew’s Church, Felixstowe, in 1929-1930, thought to be the first church to be built in England using reinforced concrete, and which took its inspiration from Perret’s Notre-Dame, Le Raincy, in Paris.